50 Topics for Your Informative Essay
While writing informative essays seems to be a difficult task for most people, it doesn’t have to be that way. The process becomes really easy if you just break it down into steps.
The very first step is to choose the right topic to
write an informative essay
. Now, this seems to be the most difficult task for people. To help you out, we’ve listed 50 great topics to write a captivating informative essay on. Once you have a topic picked out, you have a center of focus that you can work around.
What Exactly Is an Informative Essay?
Before you get down actually to write an informative essay, you must understand what it actually is so that you end up penning down the best draft. As the name suggests, an informative essay is one that focuses on gathering quite a
bit of relevant information
that provides value to your audience, but in such a way that it keeps them hooked till the very end of your essay.
Not to forget, you should try and add credible evidence so that you have a pretty solid essay ready.
How do you choose the right topic for an informative essay?
Choosing an ideal topic for your essay becomes easier if you know how to go forth with that task. Generally, informative topics are neither too narrow nor too broad. So, to pick the best topic, pick your title keeping your audience in mind. Another thing to remember is to keep the guidelines of your supervisor in mind if there are any. Once you find a balance between the two things, you can easily choose an informative topic for your essay.
50 Top Informative Essay Topics for College Students
Here are 50 topics to write an excellent essay topic, broken down into categories.
Adventure-filled informative essay topics
You can take on many angles when it comes to writing an informative essay on an adventure. For instance, you can write your own personal adventures or about the adventures of some celebrity. Other adventure-related topics you can write on include:
- Pitching a secure tent in the rainy and damp forest
- RVing and camping in RV parks
- A guide to hiking on your closest trail
- Your latest adventures to the hot springs you recently visited
- An adventure where you had a near-death experience and the lesson it taught
Informative topics on leadership
Typically, essays on leadership talk either about a certain situation or about a specific leader. However, you can make things interesting by writing on any one of the following:
- American History: A comparison of the leadership in the reconstruction era and antebellum era
- Communism or capitalism: which is the better leadership option?
- Exploitation during European colonialism
- How fascism came into being after World War I
- Does a democratic government really offer true freedom of speech?
Decision-making essay ideas
Whether it is a monumental and earth-shattering decision or a regular, day-to-day decision, you can write an incredible essay on decision making. Some examples of topics you could go for include:
- The extraordinary routine of deciding your day’s outfit and how to go about it
- Trends and settings in the supermarket that influence your purchasing decision
- With more books than ever being published today, how can you choose the ideal one to read?
- Should governments provide free healthcare to all?
- Should a country have state-owned news agencies?
Interesting essay topics on sports – always a favorite
Across the globe, there are fans of all kinds of sports, ranging from cricket to football to basketball. Thus, whether you opt for a lighthearted tone or a serious one, your favorite sports can make for an interesting essay. For instance, you can write on any of the following:
- Why leadership is an essential skill to have on the field
- A feature article on your favorite athlete
- Locker room pep talk play a crucial role in the athlete’s performance
- History of FIFA – why it’s a global sensation
- Paralympics and their importance
Informative writing topics on food – both healthy and unhealthy eating
Food is a favorite of nearly all people, whether you talk about health freaks or fast food junkies. You can write extensively about countless food topics. The greatest advantage of writing on food-related topics is that you can take a variety of perspectives. Few example topics are:
- In the poorest and wealthiest countries, healthy eating differs drastically
- The trend of eating fast food has never been more prevalent than it has been in today’s contemporary world
- Health implications of eating take-out regularly
- High-calories foods in industrialized countries have caused weight problems in children
- Childhood obesity is great peril, especially today
List of informative essay topics on smoking
It’s no secret that smoking is one of the leading causes of death across the globe. There are a plethora of ways that you can touch upon smoking, and the following ideas are just a very small percentage of what you can talk about:
- Should smoking in public be outlawed since it is a public hazard or should smokers be given the liberty to smoke where they want?
- Given the health implications of smoking, cigarettes should be completely banned
- Reasons why people touch a cigarette in the first place, knowing the hazards
- Smokers find cigarettes always to put them in a good mood
- Moral implications, societal impacts, and health effects of passive smoke
Talk about crime and punishment
If you want to expose the evils of the society and talk about the social issues in hopes of making an impact with your writing, then writing an informative essay on any one of the following could help you do that:
- Honor killings and the number of people that fall victim to it each year
- Reasons why people indulge in petty crimes such as shoplifting and how to discourage the practice
- Exposing domestic violence which is extremely frequent in children and women in many societies today.
- Capital punishments – a barbaric practice
- Factory farming to dog fights for entertainment – animal cruelty is at an all-time high
With the whirlwind of weather conditions that Australia faced with one catastrophe after another, it is as good of a time as any to highlight environmental issues with the following informational essays:
- Despite the easy availability of renewable energy sources such as sunlight, wind, and water, why is it still underused in the 21st century?
- Current environmental issues such as scarcity of natural resources, loss of biodiversity, deforestation, pollution, and global warming can ultimately lead to the extinction of the human race.
- There have been many measures taken to control global warming, such as using renewable energy sources and emissions restrictions. Are these really effective?
- Despite renewable energy solutions in place, such as electric vehicles, windmills, and solar panels, environmental problems still persist.
- The production of electric vehicles started back in the 20th century. Why are electric vehicles not available to all yet?
With the Me Too movement picking up momentum in the recent months, it would be a great time to talk more about gender roles and the issues surrounding those. Some essays you can write for that include:
- The origin of the word machismo and its prevalence in various fields, including sports, popular culture, and politics.
- The distribution of gender rules in your community and why they are distributed the way they are
- The contribution of famous feminists such as Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Clinton, and Oprah Winfrey and the work they’ve done to change the lives of women
- Origin of feminism, its role in history, what it means today, and how it could shape the future
- Matriarchy both in modern societies as well as societies of the past
Child labor has been around for years, and hardly any steps are taken for mitigating it. To shed more light on the subject, you could write on the following topics:
- In developed countries, children get to grow and have fun while in the developing world, it’s quite the topic
- How child labor came into being and how the idea became so widespread
- The variation in child labor from one geographic location to another
- Countries have child labor laws in place, but are they really effective?
- Unemployment is a big factor leading to child labor. Here’s why
can be tough to write on since it’s essential to provide value to the reader in each sentence. If you don’t do so, there’s a high chance that the reader will leave your essay mid-way. Thus, to pen down an interesting essay, make sure to brainstorm all your ideas before writing your first draft.